Drive Progress for North Carolina and Beyond
Objective C1.1 – Implement a framework for what it means to be "North Carolina’s urban research university."
- Action C1.1.1 – Define and create a framework for implementing the University’s urban research mission that includes guidelines for the inclusion of education, community service, socioeconomic contributions, entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Action C1.1.2 – Increase awareness of UNC Charlotte’s role as North Carolina’s urban research university.
- Action C1.1.3 – Expand community engagement, particularly in relation to education and research, and make it a vital aspect of the University’s service mission.
- Action C1.1.4 – Expand experiential learning and career development opportunities (internships, co-operative education, practica, student teaching, clinical placements and externships) that engage students with regional business, industry, government and nonprofit organizations.
- Action C1.1.5 – Make the work created on our campus available to our communities and the world through an open system of scholarly communication.
Objective C1.2 – Develop and administer a growth strategy for research partnerships that establishes UNC Charlotte as the preeminent academic institution in the region for industry-sponsored and community-engaged research.
- Action C1.2.1 – Collaborate with industry and regional partners to conduct research to meet industry needs.
- Action C1.2.2 – Establish university-wide committees to promote information sharing and facilitate corporate-industry research and community-engaged research collaborations.
- Action C1.2.3 – Increase non-STEM research by expanding community-engaged research, scholarship and creative discovery focused on social impact through updating pertinent policies, providing focused professional development and incentives, and building information-sharing mechanisms.
Objective C2.1 – Strengthen the University’s connections to and support for K-12 schools to serve our region and build our pipeline.
- Action C2.1.1 – Infuse the expertise of UNC Charlotte faculty, staff and students into the region’s K-12 schools and educational support organizations through collaborations and partnerships with educators to improve educational outcomes for the region’s children.
- Action C2.1.2 – Provide opportunities for every student in the region’s K-12 schools to engage with UNC Charlotte at least once during their school years for high-quality educational experiences that strengthen their learning and familiarization with learning and library resources, increase their understanding of what is required for college admission and familiarize them with UNC Charlotte’s academic excellence.
- Action C2.1.3 – Ensure the success of Niner University Elementary School as a model of excellence in learning and student success through innovative pedagogy.
Objective C2.2 – Foster community collaborations to address socioeconomic outcomes for the region and its populations.
- Action C2.2.1 – Generate interest among the University’s faculty, staff, students and alumni for community engagement and service, document these efforts, measure impact and publicize results.
- Action C2.2.2 – Update the existing civic action plan, situate this work within the University’s urban research university framework, activate this work, measure its impact and publicize results.
- Action C2.2.3 – Build relationships with community-based organizations to activate the civic action plan and pursue community service opportunities.
Objective C3.1 – Support evolving regional and state educational, cultural, employment and volunteering needs.
- Action C3.1.1 – Develop, implement, and measure the progress of a 10-year enrollment plan that addresses the state’s anticipated growth and changing educational needs.
- Action C3.1.2 – Create innovative new programs and academic units, particularly at the graduate level, that engender future knowledge development, contribute to the state’s economic and cultural expansion, and differentiate the University regionally and nationally.
Objective C3.2 – Establish the University as the first choice for regional working professionals and organizations seeking professional development and worker reskilling and upskilling.
- Action C3.2.1 – Collaborate with private sector and public entities to train appropriately skilled workers toward advancing the region’s workforce readiness.
- Action C3.2.2 – Widen the University’s leadership and professional development programming portfolio to expand the cadre of leaders who serve the region’s industries, public entities, nonprofit and arts organizations.
Objective C4.1 – Increase the visibility of the University as an intellectual center in the region and state.
- Action C4.1.1 – Assess current campus-based intellectual, enrichment and library engagement activities, and implement a plan with performance indicators to welcome and increase community members’ in-person and virtual participation.
- Action C4.1.2 – Inventory current intellectual activities with the potential to increase college aspirations of all students, and create and enact a plan with performance indicators to offer them in regional communities.
- Action C4.1.3 – Develop and implement a comprehensive outreach strategy and activities calendar that combines the activities from across the entire University and increases the visibility of UNC Charlotte as an intellectual center.
Objective C5.1 – Utilize the University’s assets in a culturally responsive manner to preserve and honor the region’s unique history and characteristics.
- Action C5.1.1 – Conserve and share the region’s uniqueness through research and archival support.
- Action C5.1.2 – Partner with community organizations, museums and historical sites to document, raise awareness and garner support for preserving regional heritage locations and culture.
Objective C5.2 – Engage with traditionally underserved communities in Charlotte and the surrounding region to advance educational success in culturally relevant ways.
- Action C5.2.1 – Engage with individuals from underserved populations (e.g., first-generation college students, English as a Second Language population, individuals with disabilities, persons transitioning from foster care and justice-involved families) to understand the needs and best means of collaborative support for young people and adults to facilitate college readiness, advancement through the academic pipeline into college, and college success.
- Action C5.2.2 – Engage with veterans and traditionally underserved communities (groups insufficiently represented by U.S. government categories, communities in rural and impoverished urban areas, communities of indigenous peoples, communities of color, LGBTQ+ communities, communities that have suffered religious oppression and immigrants) in culturally relevant ways to understand needs and best means of collaborative support for young people and adults to facilitate college readiness, advancement through the academic pipeline, and college success.